Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

ICC/Libyan Military ChiefBack
[Published: Wednesday May 20 2026]

 ICC hears torture case against Libya's 'Angel of Death' militia commander

 
By Agnese Boffano
 
THE HAGUE, 20 May. - (ANA) - A former Libyan militia commander accused of war crimes, including murder, rape, enslavement and torture, in detention centres has appeared before the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday, in what human rights groups say is a "breakthrough moment" for accountability.
 
Khaled Mohamed Ali El Hishri, a former senior figure in Libya’s Deterrence Apparatus for Countering Terrorism and Organized Crime (RADA), faces charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes allegedly committed between May 2014 and June 2020. The RADA force is affiliated with the Tripoli-based Presidential Council.
 
Nicknamed the "Angel of Death", he was "widely known as a notorious torturer at the help of Mitiga prison", said ICC deputy prosecutor Nazhat Shameem Khan in the opening of the case for the prosecution. She quoted a witness who described the ex-commander as being "amongst the worst instigators of violence".
 
The ICC issued an arrest warrant in July 2025, accusing Hishri of murder, rape, enslavement, torture and other inhumane acts, primarily against detainees held at the notorious Mitiga prison, where prosecutors say the 47-year-old oversaw the women’s wing. Rights groups have long documented widespread abuses and arbitrary detention at the facility.
 
Hishri was arrested in Germany in July 2025 and later surrendered to the ICC. Judges found “reasonable grounds” to believe he bears individual criminal responsibility, including for directly committing, ordering, or overseeing crimes.
 
Following three days of hearings concluding on 21 May, judges will have 60 days to assess whether prosecutors have sufficient evidence to proceed to trial.
 
Wasil Schauseil, press officer at search-and-rescue NGO SOS Humanity, said the case marks a significant step after years of stalled accountability efforts.
 
Hishri is the first suspect to face ICC proceedings linked to crimes in Libya since the 2011 uprising, despite arrest warrants issued for 13 individuals, eight of whom remain at large.
 
"This is another hallmark in a long sequence of evidence collected over the years showing how systematic these crimes in Libya are," Schauseil told The New Arab.
 
The scale of the crisis remains stark. More than 27,000 people were intercepted and returned to Libya in 2025, with over 1,300 reported dead or missing on the central Mediterranean route, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM). So far this year, at least 6,800 people have been intercepted, including 143 children, while more than 800 have died or gone missing.
 
Despite mounting evidence, accountability within Libya remains virtually absent, with authorities failing to investigate or prosecute abuses linked to detention centres and affiliated armed groups.
 
 
European complicity
 
 
Rights groups argue that European policies have contributed to entrenching this system.
 
Over the past year, the EU and its member states have expanded cooperation not only with western Libyan authorities but also with eastern actors, including forces linked to Khalifa Haftar, in an effort to curb migration.
 
Schauseil said the ICC case should be seen not only as a legal milestone but also as a warning about the broader system enabling such abuses.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/20 May 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon Sudan/RSF Commander
News icon IMF/Africa Growth
News icon India/Africa Forum
News icon Morocco/Railway
News icon ICC/Libyan Military Chief
News icon EU/ICC/Israel War Crimes
News icon Palestine/Settlers Encroachment
News icon Israel/Syrian Agriculture
News icon WMO/Extreme Weather
News icon Baku/World Urban Forum

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007