[Published: Friday August 21 2026]
 Jailed and ailing, Ghannouchi and Chebbi remain defiant in Tunisia
By Basma Barakat
TUNIS, 21 August. - (ANA) - Tunisian opposition figures Ahmed Nejib Chebbi and Rached Ghannouchi are suffering from health problems in prison, but they remain reportedly in high spirits.
Haifa Chaibi, a lawyer and member of the defence team for political detainees in Tunisia and daughter of detained National Salvation Front leader Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, told The New Arab that her father remains in high spirits despite his delicate health condition.
She explained that he had experienced some health difficulties recently, particularly amid high temperatures in prison.
She said the prison administration "has not fallen short and is making every effort to monitor his health, but those are the limits of its capabilities", adding that her father prefers not to focus on his health because he believes there are other, more pressing issues.
Chaibi said Chebbi followed news regarding the march held on 25 July 2026, marking the 69th anniversary of the declaration of the Tunisian Republic and the fifth anniversary of the coup against the constitution on 25 July 2021.
He was optimistic about the participation of different opposition groups and civil forces, she said, considering that "this is what they are currently in prison for".
She added that the action almost restored morale among all political detainees.
Chaibi said her father is fully aware that "as long as the coup remains in place, he will not leave prison" and that he is paying the price for opposing the authorities and rejecting the prevailing situation.
A member of the defence team for political detainees in Tunisia also confirmed that the detainees will follow the action taking place today, Thursday, saying they believe it is important for the movement to return to the streets of Tunisia to express opposition to the coup.
The member added that the health condition of Ennahda Movement leader Rached Ghannouchi is stable after he left the hospital yesterday, 18 August, and that lawyers have been allowed to visit him.
In this context, Samir Dilo, a member of the defence team for Rached Ghannouchi, told The New Arab that he visited Ghannouchi yesterday and that his health condition is stable, despite the weakness he is suffering from as a result of illnesses he has experienced recently.
He explained that Ghannouchi had been barred from receiving visitors and was completely isolated from the outside world and had been unable to follow developments for 23 days, prompting him to go on hunger strike in protest.
Dilo added that Ghannouchi remains in high spirits despite everything he has been through, stressing that he is receiving attention inside the prison.
The defence team for Ghannouchi said in a statement on Wednesday, 19 August, that he was returned on Monday evening to Mornaguia Civil Prison in the capital after remaining in hospital since 29 July.
The team added that during his stay in hospital, Ghannouchi was subjected to "complete isolation", during which he was denied visits from his lawyers and family members and prevented from following the news through the means available to the rest of the prisoners.
This was despite repeated requests by the defence team to visit him and check on his health, according to the statement.
Ghannouchi has been imprisoned since 17 April 2023, and several prison sentences have been issued against him, some of them life sentences, in cases related to conspiracy against state security.
He has been held at Mornaguia Prison in the capital since his arrest.
As for National Salvation Front leader Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, he was arrested in December 2025 to enforce a final court ruling sentencing him to 12 years in prison in the case known as "conspiracy against state security". - (ANA) -
AB/ANA/21 August 2026 - - -
|